|Copyright LtDan'sKitchenBlogs.com 2016|
Although the recipe is wonderful in itself, I just felt it also needed more to make this dish more substantial in terms of texture and flavor. Since I made this two Christmases ago when avocados were available, I figured the addition of chunks of avocados and cucumbers will complement the dish without really changing it completely. It turned out that it was indeed a good match and for lunch on a hot day, this will be the perfect healthy meal.
Cold Soba Noodle Salad - Adapted*
1 8-oz soba noodles
1 medium avocado pitted and diced
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
5 scallions, sliced thinly
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp honey
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
5 tsp good quality soy sauce
1. Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients. Set aside.
2. Cook the soba noodles as per packet instructions. Once cooked, shock them
in ice water to stop the cooking. Drain in a large colander.
3. In a small bowl, combine the avocados and cucumber and add enough
dressing just to coat them. Set aside.
4. To assemble, transfer the noodles into a large bowl and season with the
dressing. You may not have to use all of it if that is your preference. Toss in
most of the scallions and most of the sesame seeds.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the avocados and cucumber. Garnish
with the remaining sesame seeds and scallions. Serve immediately.
* Lawson, Nigella, Forever Summer, Hyperion Books, New York: 2003.